Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Rants and Plugs...

Not a heck of a lot to report…. So instead of leaving the blog with an old entry, I figured I’d write about a couple of things that I’ve seen and/or heard since my last entry.

I usually check out a lot of movie trailers online…. One of the trailers I watched was No Direction Home: Bob Dylan…. Now I’m not a big Dylan fan or anything, I dig his music and I’d love to listen to more, but what drew me to the flick was that it’s a documentary and I can’t get enough documentaries….(I just got done watching Ken Burns: Civil War… which was like 6 discs and I was bummed it was over, if you’re into History check it out.) and it’s also a documentary by Martin Scorsese…. Who started out editing documentaries before he went on to become one of the greatest directors ever… anyway, as I’m watching the trailer the narrator says: “From the Academy Award Nominated Director Martin Scorsese….” Every single time I hear that my head explodes… how has this guy not won that award yet? Honestly? He lost for Goodfellas to friggin’ Kevin Costner. Costner has a Best Director Oscar as well as Mel Gibson… another guy who makes crappy movies…. But Scorsese… a guy who made Goodfellas and Raging Bull…. (not to mention Taxi Driver, etc.) hasn't.....

Now Raging Bull isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, it’s a tough movie to watch, but technically it’s amazing and DeNiro’s acting is just insane…. But Goodfellas is on another level. From the Script to the acting, to the camera work to the editing to the music.. It’s darn near perfect… it’s a movie film students will be watching forever… and it lost to Costner and Dances with Wolves… Ugh…

All right, rant over… go rent some Scorsese flicks… and if Costner or Mel Gibson wins another Best Director award before Scorsese someone hand me a barf bag.

CD Plug…. Soulive: Break Out…. If you dig jazz, funk, R&B, Blues… check it out…. You can listen to some of their new album at their site… Soulive.com.

Comic Plug…. Opposable Thumbs by Dean Haspiel.. great semi-autobiographical comic…. Check it out... here’s his site.

And here’s funny pic of a bad-ass cat Ereisa sent me….


1 comment:

RandolphG said...

Yeah, I'm gonna get my wedding photos from a guy who spams Blogs.