Wednesday, September 13, 2006

American Splendor at Vertigo


Last week the first Vertigo published issue of Harvey Pekar’s American Splendor hit the shelves.

If you didn’t pick it up last week, don’t forget to put it on your list for this week. It’s a book that changed the way I look at comics and it really fell into my lap at the right time in my life. Ereisa bought me an issue of “The Complete Crumb, Volume 12” which happened to contain a huge chunk of the Pekar/Crumb team-ups. That book really got me into the world of alternative comics. And thank god, because without them, I’d surely have dropped comics altogether. There’s only so much late shipping over-written crossover superhero comics I can handle.

So go out and not only support Harvey but also support DC for publishing a book like American Splendor. It’s nice to see a big-time comic publisher put something besides another tights and capes book on the shelves.

Meanwhile, Randall Redux is inching closer and closer every day. It’s really turning into something I’m excited about and after all the trepidation about continuing the Randall comic, I couldn’t be happier that I stuck it out.

Stay tuned and Go Buy American Splendor! There’s gotta be some book you’re about to drop anyway!

--R

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I picked up the new American Splendor. I've never liked the book much but enjoyed this issue."The Quitter" that he did with Dean Haspiel is excellent if you have't picked that up yet.

RandolphG said...

I did pick up "The Quitter" and loved it. I'm a huge Dean Haspiel fan. Besides being a fellow Brooklynite, I love his art. If you ever see any of his stuff around, pick it up. "Opposable Thumbs, Keyhole and Billy Dogma" are all good reads.