Tuesday, January 02, 2007

LazyComix is back for '07!

LazyComix didn't actually go anywhere, but it sounded like a good title...

It sure has been a while since I’ve posted around here. I tried to throw a few things up there just so I didn’t go a month without doing anything, but it was still a pretty pathetic blogging display. So now with the holidays finally behind us we can get back to regular updates and more webcomix from yours truly.

I’m constantly trying to think of ways to get people to visit the site and this blog more often. With comix obviously more sparse, I’ve kicked around every idea from a “syndicated”-type strip to a daily sketch blog. All of these things may come to fruition in the coming year but I’ve got one idea that I think could be a blast. It’ll take some scheduling and maybe even some string pulling, but we’ll see. Stay tuned as I’m planning on getting that idea into high gear as Randall Chapter 2 approaches. I’ve got 2 pages penciled with page 3 thumb nailed and ready to roll.

So look for 2007 to be a bit more well rounded here at LazyComix… more regular updates and a “schedule” that’ll be something you can actually follow!



I often write about my trips to the local comic shop and how even after weeks of not going, I still walk about with 2-3 comics if I’m lucky. I just couldn’t be less into monthly pamphlet mainstream comics. Maybe it’s because I’m “too close” to it but I just can’t get into a single storyline. I purposely skipped out on Civil War even though I really enjoy Millar’s writing and I thought the idea was great…I just had a sinking feeling that there was no way they’d come out on time… and anyone following the series knows how that turned out.

So will I become a full-time trade paperback fan? Possibly. But as I get older, more cynical, more jaded… I realize I’m a giant comic book curmudgeon. Part of this is due to comic Message boards. Fans tend to flock together like sheep, agreeing with one another seemingly without thought or reason. Stan Lee catches crap on message boards, if he does, nobody is safe… one of my favorite fan quotes about Stan The Man was: “Honestly, what has Lee written in the past 20 years that has had any impact on contemporary comics?” That gem was followed by people agreeing with him!

Now I won’t go on about how someone can say Stan Lee hasn’t had an impact on contemporary comics. The question should be why can’t contemporary comics develop a character NOT created by Stan, but that’s a blog for another time. (Soon, actually as that’s a favorite topic of mine) What I realize is that these kinds of comments and opinions from fans unfortunately throw more fuel on my curmudgeon fire. However, one thing has happened that I didn’t expect and that I couldn’t be happier about. I’ve gone back and reread some classic comics by creators that today’s fanboy’s have turned on.

One of the big ones is one of my All-Time favorite creators: Frank Miller.

Miller’s recent All Star Batman and Robin, which followed his previous recipient of Fanboy vitriol: “Dark Knight 2”, has been crapped on relentlessly by fans. Now ASBR sure ain’t Batman: Year One, and it probably deserves some of the criticism it’s received, but what it has brought to my attention is the “what-have-you-done-for-me-lately” attitude fans have. You see this all the time in sports. Guy gets a hit his first 3 times up, drives in 3, but when he pops up his 4th time at bat he gets booed. It goes with the territory, I suppose.

So after reading post-upon-post about how possibly the greatest comic book writer/artist of all-time is now “washed-up” I went back and read the Dark Knight series again. Including Dark Knight 2. (Thanks to a kick-ass Christmas gift of the Absolute Dark Knight.)

The first Dark Knight is just flat-out comic book goodness. The writing, art and Varley’s colors are amazing. It’s Batman at it’s best, bar-none. Just typing this makes me want to flip through the book.

DK2 is another beast entirely. I wasn’t too keen on it when it first came out. But after I read it again, it’s a pretty solid read. Even Varley’s colors, which are wild and out-there, are interesting and often engaging. Miller’s art was minimal and somewhat crude at points… leaving maybe too much room for Varley’s colors. Nevertheless, there are pages and panel compositions that are downright beautiful in this book which deserve another look.

So if you’re plum outta fresh comics to read, dig around for your copies of the Dark Knight books…. If you hung onto your copies of DK2 give it a read (or even a flip-through) and write back… I’d love to see if I’m not alone on my latest discovery of a good comic that was buried by fanboy loathing.

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!
--Randy

No comments: